Are you looking for another solution rather than Zoom, Whatsapp, Teams, Google Video Call, or Skype to video chat with someone? Don’t miss out on Discord, a free tool to make video calls available on both Computer and mobile!
At First, Discord is designed for gaming communities, But Discord has won over many other categories of users, especially with limitations. You must know that this free instant messaging service allows you to chat live in different ways with interlocutors( one who takes part in dialogue or conversation), by text, voice, or video. You can meet different people on this platform in common servers around very specific subjects. You can also send private messages with a particular middleman, who manages a list of people or you can create your own server. This platform has allowed the creation of virtual classrooms via discord in certain schools closed due to Covid-19.
Like many other services, Discord also offers a video conference function that allows you to chat in video with one or more questioners. This video conference method is accessible both with a PC via a Web browser or the dedicated app (for macOS, Windows, and Linux) as well as on a Smartphone or tablet with the mobile app (for iOS and Android), simply with an account.
Table of Contents
Start a Video Call with Discord on Computer
The video call function in Discord is accessible directly with web browsers or with free Discord application; available for macOS, Windows, and Linux, which must be downloaded and installed on your computer.
- With your web browser or the Discord application, Log in to your Discord account.
- By default, the Friends section will be displayed first. If you have connected your friends, an Online symbol appears under their name, so you can contact them when they are Online.
- Click on the nickname of your Friend (the Discord Tag) you want to Video call. This action opens a messaging interface.
- You will find available features at the bottom of this messaging interface.
- To start a video call, click on the camera icon at the top right of the messaging interface. When the mouse hovers, the message Start a video call appears.
- When you click on the camera icon, the video call is active. You can adjust video and audio settings by clicking on the icons in the center of the interface
- The conversation history also can be viewed at the bottom of the interface and you can also send a written message.
- To end the conversation, click the red disconnect icon. When the mouse hovers, the message Disconnection appears.
Note: both participants should hang up, otherwise the conversation remains active.
Start a Group Video Call with Discord on Computer
It is quite possible to add friends (via contacts) to an ongoing video call.
- When the video call is in progress, click the add icon at the top right of the video call. On hover, the message Add friends to private group appears.
- An interface will open. You can select a maximum number of eight friends from your contacts.
- Enter the username of your friends to add in the box given, then Click Create a private group.
- Your friends will join the conversation as soon as they accept the invitation.
It is also possible to add participants from a private group, but it should be created beforehand.
- To create a private group of friends, Enter the friend’s section by clicking on Friends at the top left of the Discord home page.
- Click the chat window icon with a plus symbol at the top right. On hover with a cursor, the message New private group appears.
- Enter your Friend username in the space provided, or check the box to the right of your friend’s name to add them to the private group. You can add up to nine people. Then click on Create a private group to validate the creation of a private group on discord.
- Then click on the camera icon at the top right of the screen. On hover, the message Start a video call will appear.
- The video call is started immediately. As soon as the members of the group accept their invite, and they will appear in the video call.
Join an ongoing video call with Discord on Computer
When you are invited to a video conference call, you will receive two notifications: a visual notification as a pop-up on Discord and an audible notification as a ringtone. To receive these notifications, it is necessary to be connected to the Discord app, but you can already be active in a text chat for example.
- Click Join Call when you receive the visual notification. You will be added to the current video conference.
- Click on the red icon at the top left of the Discord interface. The red icon means that a conversation is in progress.
- If you didn’t click the first visual notification, you can also click Join Call, which is available in the private group conversation history or two-person conversation history.
- To end the conversation, click the red disconnect icon. When the mouse hovers, the message Disconnection will appear.
Note: all participants should Disconnect, otherwise the conversation will remain active.
Make a video call with the Discord mobile app
In the Discord mobile version (on iOS and Android), Discord offers essentially the same functionalities as computers ( macOS, Windows, or Linux). Thus, it is possible to participate in video calls in the Discord mobile app, either with a single person or with a group of ten people.
Note: the video call will use mobile data if your phone is not connected to Wi-Fi. If your mobile plan has only a limited amount of data, remember to activate Wi-Fi as soon as possible!
- Open your Discord mobile application. If you have already created an account, you will be logged in by default with your usual username.
- Click on the icon representing a character at the bottom of your interface to display your list of Discord friends.
- By default, In your Discord account, the names of connected friends are displayed at the top of the list, with the Online heading.
- Click the name of your friend with whom you want to start a video call. This action opens a new interface at the bottom of the screen.
- Click the Video icon to initiate the video call.
- A video interface will open. Your window will appear at the top left, and your conversational partner occupies all the space on the screen.
- To end the video call, click on the red phone icon at the bottom right of the screen. Both parties must end the call, otherwise, the conversation will remain open on the discord mobile app.
Add participants to an ongoing video call with the Discord mobile app
You can add more participants to a video call in the Discord mobile app that is already in progress. The Maximum number of participants is ten.
- When the video call is started with a first participant, click on the icon representing a character with a plus symbol at the top of the screen.
- On the screen that appears, select the participants that you want to add. But they should already be on your Discord Friends List.
- Click on the arrow at the bottom right of the screen to confirm your choice.
- Participants are automatically added to the current video call as soon as they accept the invitation.
Create a video conference for a group with the Discord mobile app
Rather than having a video call with one person, you can perfectly create a real group video conference call.
- Click on the three horizontal bars icon at the top left in the Discord app to display the main menu of the app.
- Click the white envelope icon in the main menu.
- Click on the chat bubble icon to the right of Private Messages.
- This action opens an Invite Friends to Group screen. Select your friends you want to add to the group, then confirm your choice by clicking on the arrow at the bottom right of the window.
Note: you can add only nine people in addition to yourself, the total number of participants in the group is being limited to 10.
- Click the Video icon to start the video call.
- Participants will automatically join the video conference call as soon as they accept the invite.
Adjust audio and video settings on the Discord mobile app
- The Discord mobile app will offer some settings to optimize visual and audio settings.
- Click on the profile icon in the bottom right of the app to open the User Settings menu.
- Scroll down to the Application settings section and then click on Voice & Video.
- You can adjust in this section as per your preferences. You can choose advanced settings like Noise Reduction or Echo Cancellation, but also adjust the sound output volume directly on the application.
If you find this Blog informational give a thumbs up in the comments section and subscribe with your Email to receive useful information