What is Grindr
For those who might be a little fresh, Grindr is a mobile social networking and dating app for gay men. It was launched in 2009 by Joel Simkhai, in Israel – it’s about the best choice for gay dating! With over 2 million users every day spread across 196 countries!!! It’s huge!!!
This geo-locatable app helps users find other gay men using GPS technology on their cell phones. Users can log in to instantly see other Grindr members in the area, share photos, stats, chat or arrange a meeting.
Grindr is available for free on iPhone and Android devices. Members can also upgrade to Grindr XTRA for a variety of premium features such as an ad-free interface, push/pull notifications, and additional profile views. This app is none other than the Tinder Gay version!
Is there a web version?
Initially, there was no website version of Grindr and you had to make do with just the app. However, the mobile keyboard was a bit cumbersome when having long conversations. For this reason, the developers decided to create the Web version of the site, so that you can access it via the browser on your PC.
How Grindr works
As I told you a little earlier, Grindr is the gay version of Tinder. Therefore, the operation of the application is very similar. Once you are inside the application, and you have completed your form, you will be able to check the different profiles that are available to you.
How to enter Grindr and create a profile
Using Grindr is easier than you think, so if you are a member of the gay community, do not refrain; you will love it. Here are a few simple steps to join the application:
- download the Grindr app from an app store like iTunes or directly from Grindr.
- Once the app loads, accept the Terms of Service which states that you are over 18 and have agreed to the privacy terms. Remember, Grindr uses GPS technology to show your location and introduce you to guys in your area.
- Agreed? Great, now you’re ready to log in to Grindr. Press the blue button to launch the app or invite a friend to join in the yellow box you’ll see on the screen.
- You’ll have more success meeting other men with profile text and a photo. When you launch the app for the first time, Grindr will remind you to edit your profile.
- To edit, tap the image box and choose an existing photo or take one with your mobile camera. When you click “Name here”, you will be prompted to enter your username and a caption. This is a great opportunity to show your personality.
- New releases allow you to enter information such as your age, height, weight, ethnicity, website, and any other information you wish to share. These boxes are optional, so enter the information you want.
- Below the profile box, you will find an option to show your exact distance. With this, you will know exactly where other guys are (one meter away, two meters away, among others).
- Next, choose your age filter. Grindr offers the option to select a minimum or maximum age.
- Finally, on the edit profile screen, you will have the option to re-invite friends, read tips, and unblock profiles you have blocked before.
How to use Grindr
Once you’ve logged in and created your own profile, you’re ready to start using the app. As I said earlier, it’s pretty straightforward; you just have to let yourself go. However, here’s the procedure:
- You find yourself in the main Grindr window, which is a collage of photos of local men. Your box will appear first with a gold border. Touch it to see how others see your profile.
- Check out the photo collage. A green dot means you are online. A yellow dot means it is one of your favorites.
- Click on a picture of a nearby Grindr to see it full size. By doing this you will also be able to see how far away he is, how long he has been online, his age, and any other information he has added to his profile.
- Chat with him (a blue border means you’re actively chatting), add him as a favorite, or block him. Ready to move? Premium members can move to the next profile. Basics members should tap the black Grindr arrow to return to the main menu.
- The main window constantly refreshes as more guys approach. Click the “Load more guys” button to see more men in the area.
Things to consider
There are a few things to keep in mind when logging into Grindr to have the best experience:
- Grindr uses GPS technology, so not only will you be able to see the exact distance someone is from you, but they will also be able to do the same.
- Grindr has a push/pull notifications, so pressing the home button on your phone will not log you out. To sign out, click the black “Sign out” box in the top left corner.
Benefits of using Grindr
These are some of the benefits that the Grindr application offers you:
- It’s reserved for the gay community. At least there is no need to struggle with a generalist app.
- It’s ultra-famous and worldwide!
- It has many features and tools.
- You are not obliged to take the paid version.
- The paid version is not excessive, it is cheaper than a dating site.
- The rules are quite strict and are always present.
- It has gay radar and other interesting features!
Disadvantages of Grindr
Like any site, it has its advantages and disadvantages. Here are the disadvantages for you to consider:
- It shows a lot of ads in the free version.
- It is really only for gay people. If you’re straight or a girl doesn’t bother trying.
- Without going through Grindr Xtra (paid) you won’t get notifications.
How to unblock Grindr in homophobic countries
Grindr has grown from a niche smartphone app to a global phenomenon with millions of users. It has allowed members of the gay community to meet other couples, enrich their love life, and make it more exciting than ever.
But the app is also highly controversial in many countries: several governments around the world prevent their citizens from using it. Fortunately, however, there is a way around these blocks. You can unblock Grindr using a VPN (Virtual Private Network). We highly recommend NordVPN as the best option.
For those who don’t know yet, these programs create encrypted tunnels between smartphones, computers, and private servers. Your users’ data passes through these servers, which then assign them another anonymous IP address, making their true identity and location virtually undetectable.
The most important aspect of VPNs is their ability to bypass government blockades aimed at preventing the use of Grindr. The following is a non-exhaustive sample of countries that use such blocks (partial or complete):
United Arab Emirates
Grindr has been used in Malaysia as an intelligence tool to identify certain homosexuals, and Lebanon has implemented bans in the past against this application. In all of these countries, the state seeks to prevent citizens from registering on this site, and many operate fake profiles to trap users who will contact them.
However, none of these countries has succeeded in completely blocking access to Grindr. Because VPNs, used correctly, can bypass even the strictest censorship. But remember, if you’re logging into this app from a fairly repressive country, it’s always good to be on your guard.
Defeating sophisticated government surveillance requires a lot of effort on the part of VPNs, and most providers are not trustworthy in this regard. Therefore, we have established a list of countries and VPNs that will be trustworthy there:
Saudi Arabia – NordVPN
Russia – NordVPN
United Arab Emirates – NordVPN
Indonesia – NordVPN
Iran – NordVPN
Turkey – ExpressVPN
Egypt – ExpressVPN
Ukraine – ExpressVPN
You may have noticed some repetition in this list. While there are hundreds of VPNs on the market, only a few are reliable enough to provide sufficient data protection and unblock Grindr. ExpressVPN and NordVPN are excellent products and will not disappoint.
Free VPN will not provide adequate protection, so you must pay. In an ideal world, you shouldn’t have to spend money to be able to love, but in this world, you can be killed for your sexual preference, so the price of a VPN is low if you take into account the danger you may be running by exposing yourself.