Some PC games are fun to play with a keyboard. But for others, it’s much more comfortable to use a controller, wired or wireless. And, with a few adjustments, you can even connect a model for PS4, the Sony console!
If you’re a gamer, you know that some games are more enjoyable to play with a controller than with a keyboard. So why not, especially since it’s easy to use a controller for a home console on a PC. The good thing about today’s game consoles is that their controllers no longer have to worry about proprietary connectors. USB reigns supreme, both on Xbox and PlayStation.
This is a real advantage since it’s easy to connect them to a PC to play more comfortably in the titles that lend themselves to it. And if your computer is equipped with a Bluetooth module – whether it’s built-in, like on laptops, or in the form of a dongle – you can even unplug the cable to use a wireless controller, with much greater freedom of movement. Handy if you already have such an accessory at home. And if you don’t have a console, there’s nothing to stop you from getting a controller designed for an Xbox or PlayStation – compatible models can be found in online stores.
However, even if Windows 10 can handle this type of device as standard, it is necessary to make some checks and adjustments before starting to play. Fortunately, this is a quick and easy operation. Demonstration with a Bluetooth controller for PS4.
How to set up a PS4 controller on a PC?
Even if it is a Bluetooth model, it is necessary to physically connect the controller to the PC with a USB cable. Then you can adjust each parameter.
- Connect the controller to one of the PC’s USB ports. Windows will identify it and immediately download the appropriate driver.
- Once the driver is in place, go to the Windows Control Panel. To do this, simply type Control Panel in the search field next to the Start button and then click on the first occurrence of Control Panel.
- In the window that appears, click on Hardware and Audio and then Devices and Printers.
- Your controller will appear in the Devices section.
- Right-click on its icon and choose Game Controller Settings.
- The Game Controllers window opens. Select your device and click Properties.
- In the window that appears, under the Test tab, there are two sections. The first section is for the axes and the second for the buttons on the controller.
- Test the left and right joysticks to make sure they work in all directions.
- Also, press each button one at a time. If they are operational, their number will light up in red. Note that the L2 and R2 buttons on the front of the controller correspond to the X and Y rotation axes.
- If everything works well, close the window by clicking on OK.
How to recalibrate a PS4 controller on a PC?
If you notice a malfunction with the joysticks or buttons, a calibration of the controller is necessary.
- In the previously opened controller properties window, activate the Settings tab and then click on the Calibrate button.
- A configuration wizard will open. Click Next.
- Leave the joystick alone and click Next to proceed with the centering of the directional cross (BMD).
- Then press each of the four directional buttons once, and press any other button on the controller. Press Next again without touching anything.
- Now rotate the right joystick in all directions. Then click Next and then Next again.
- Now press the R2 button on the controller and move the left joystick up and down. Click Next. Do the same thing, this time pressing the L2 button.
- Click Finish. Your controller is ready.
How do I connect a PS4 controller to the PC via Bluetooth?
Do you have a Bluetooth connection between your PC and your controller? You can pair them up to play without the hassle of cables.
- Go to Windows settings with the keyboard shortcut Win + I and then click on Devices. On the page that appears, click + Add a Bluetooth device or another device.
- Activate the pairing mode on your PS4 controller (read its user manual if necessary). On our controller model, you need to press the Share (top left) and PS (bottom center) buttons for three seconds
- On the PC screen, click on Bluetooth at the top of the black window that appeared (the option Everything else – Xbox controller with wireless adapter, DLNA, etc. does not work with a PS4 controller).
- Wait a few seconds. The name of your controller will appear on the screen. Click on it. The connection is established. Your controller is now connected to the PC via Bluetooth.
How do I set up a PS4 controller in Steam?
Your controller is now properly detected and configured in Windows. All that’s left to do is launch your gaming platform (Steam in our example) and fine-tune the settings if necessary.
- Open a game requiring a controller and do the first test. If the settings do not suit you, quit the game, then click on the Steam File menu and choose Settings.
- In the window that appears, click on Controller and then General Controller Settings.
- On the page that appears, your game controller is detected. Click on it.
- Here you can also recalibrate the controller. Click on the Calibrate button and follow the instructions on the screen.
If you find this Blog informational give a thumbs up in the comments section and subscribe with your Email to receive useful Information