The Sandbox metaverse is a virtual world that operates within the Ethereum-based blockchain game project The Sandbox ecosystem, leveraging native SAND tokens, NFT tokens, and other integrated tools. The alpha version of the meta-universe was launched in November 2021. Users could buy early access on the OpenSea Marketplace in the form of NFT and other ways. digiitallife.com’s editorial team will tell you what the Sandbox metaverse is like in the early stages of development.
The Sandbox Alpha: the possibilities of the meta universe
The Sandbox universe alpha has so far passed its first season, with a second season in the pipeline. What has been accomplished in the process:
- Distributed 5,000,000+ SAND
- Distributed 5,000 Alpha Passes (access keys)
- Distributed 15,000 NFT tokens
- Over 200,000 people visited the Alpha Hub, 90% of whom reacted positively to the developments. More than 150,000 hours were spent in the game. Users moved around, communicated and played in a virtual 3D space, choosing from a variety of locations.
An Alpha Pass (NFT ticket that gives you access to all the features and exclusive rewards) was required for full access to the season’s content. Players without an Alpha Pass could still gain access to full trials and the Alpha Hub multiplayer hub, which included a wide range of locations and quests, and socializing with other players. However, users could not earn any money without a pass.
Ways you can get an Alpha Pass (likely to be relevant for Season 2 as well):
- Raffle Alpha Raffle (only for owners of LANDs, i.e. plots of land in the meta universe). In this way, 1,000 passes have been raffled off. Each plot gives you an extra chance to win.
- Daily contests on social networks (Twitter, Discord). 750 passes were distributed among those who signed up for the newsletter and participated in contests on social platforms.
- Buying on the secondary market with OpenSea. Some participants who won the pass through the above methods sold it on OpenSea as an NFT token. Of course, the prices aren’t right for everyone – over $10,000.
- Players without an Alpha Pass had access to three games, various locations and quests, and the ability to interact with other participants. The pass was distributed in NFT format to users’ wallets, such as Metamask.
Impressions of the first participants
Locations that were available without a pass:
- Dum-Yz Dungeon. An NPC provides a sword that can be used to kill monsters. Then the quest begins, which includes uncomplicated logic tasks and parkour elements. At the end of the second challenge, the player collects a chest containing armor that gives the character protection points.
- NFT Institute. Is a museum located in a beautiful building with glass ceilings. Inside there are NFT collections and a Snoop Dogg stage where his compositions are played.
- Club XYZ. A virtual nightclub with a futuristic design where Deadmau5 performs, you can dance and talk to people.
Players are mostly positive about the new universe. First of all, the graphics and controls work quite smoothly and do not slow down. The gameplay of the game resembles Minecraft and a bit of Fortnite. Of the disadvantages are called music, which is always playing in a circle and eventually get very bored.
Without a pass there is not much to do in the digital world so far, but the opportunities will expand. In 2022, we’ll probably have a chance to dive deeper into this universe.
Real estate in The Sandbox
The excitement around the meta-universes has led to plots of land in The Sandbox showing incredible potential for earning money. In November, for example, one of the plots sold for $4.3 million. And in early December, someone gave $450,000 for a plot next to Snoop Dogg’s territory.
The Sandbox co-founder Sébastien Borge is convinced that this is just the beginning, and there will be a whole new economy going forward. As the virtual world develops, it will become easier and easier for people to create and sell items, play games, earn money, and trade digital real estate. Total platform sales between 2019 and today are $211+ million. Borger, meanwhile, believes that digital real estate opportunities can grow 200x in 15-17 months.
Blockchain technology is extremely useful for enabling users to own the content they create or buy. Every plot in the metavirtual universe is an NFT, which is controlled solely by its owner. Even the most common plots in this project are very expensive today, but could fetch even more in the long run.
On December 23, Sandbox announced that PwC Hong Kong had purchased a plot of land in the metaconset. It is a pioneer in the globally recognized professional services network and the first member to publicly enter Sandbox, among all of PwC’s divisions.
William Gee, a partner at PwC Hong Kong, said the meta-universe offers new opportunities to create value through innovative business models and new ways to interact with clients.
The role of the SAND token
The SAND token is an ERC-20 token on the Ethereum blockchain. Acts as a medium of exchange in the ecosystem, i.e. it serves to buy/sell lands, assets, bonuses, avatar features, etc. Other features:
- Platform management.
- Uploading your own creations to the marketplace in order to monetize them.
- Bidding, through which you can get rare rewards.
- Access to some paid games.
- Rewards for in-game activities.
- Paying artists and designers.
- Conducting contests.
The developers do not plan to burn any SAND tokens. All assets consumed by users go back into the ecosystem and can be used to support content creators and the betting pool.
What other promising metacommunities are out there
In addition to The Sandbox, the markets are dominated by meta-universe-related projects such as:
- Decentraland. The token is MANA. Players can manage virtual plots of land and hold various events, such as music concerts. The company was founded in 2016 by Esteban Ordano and Ari Meilich. Both started with 2D games and then turned them into a large-scale virtual three-dimensional world by introducing the concept of valuable items in the form of NFT.
- Enjin. Token – ENJ. This project is more focused on creating in-game NFT items. It has already successfully launched a software development kit (SDK), which facilitates the process of creating Ethereum-based NFTs for ordinary users and organizations. NFTs created with Enjin can be exchanged for ENJ. These advantages give every chance that the project will become an important part of the meta-universe industry.
- Bloktopia. The token is BLOCK. This virtual reality meta-universe is a 21-story skyscraper designed for communication, work, and entertainment. The rooms can be rented out. Bloktopia is built on the Polygon network (MATIC). The platform gives gamers the tools to create their own projects and even advertising spaces.
What is The Sandbox?
It’s a blockchain-based game project that allows members to create and manage their own games on the platform, create and sell items, communicate and much more.
What is a metaverse?
A virtual world where people can interact as avatars almost like in real life, a kind of analog of the social network, but in a more game-like form and with a graphical component.
What kind of event is The Sandbox Alpha?
In The Sandbox Alpha users could test the first developments of the new global meta universe, where it will be possible to communicate, go on quests, visit different interesting locations. A second season is expected in 2022, the first took place in November-December 2021. Participation requires a pass, which can be won or bought.
Why buy land at Sandbox?
It’s a type of investment – land tends to appreciate over time, and it can also be rented out and generate passive income.
Why do I need a SAND token?
It is a multifunctional tool – the main means of exchange, earning, buying, selling, managing on The Sandbox platform.
What other meta-universes exist on the blockchain?
For example, Decentraland, Axie Infinity, Alien Worlds, My Neighbor Alice, Mobox.
The Sandbox metaverse, like other digital worlds on blockchain, has limitless possibilities. There is huge potential for artists, gamers, and developers to work and earn money, as well as to make new business connections. The future value of meta-universes is estimated at trillions of dollars. It will probably be commonplace to shop, communicate, and do business through the virtual universe. However, we cannot say it will be anytime soon. It is still in the early stages of development, and developers are only testing the waters, and yet they are doing it very effectively.