Video games have brought a new way to enjoy our time on the PS5, the possibility to enjoy stories not only from the point of view of spectators. Being able to enjoy fantasy worlds with equally incredible powers is no longer so crazy, thanks to the power of video game consoles.
The development and implementation of new technologies in these consoles has made it possible for us to go from games with 2D aesthetics to incredibly realistic ones. However, these new generations of consoles are not perfect machines and may be subject to failures such as screen freeze.
Why does a Play Station 5 console freeze?
The number of engineers and designers of consoles are often not enough to eliminate all the errors that can arise from these. One of these common errors is the freeze of the console, which can occur while in the main menu or while playing a game:
- It is possible that the console firmware is not up to date, so it may conflict with games that are skilled to run later than some versions.
- During the installation of the game in our PlayStation Network account, it is possible that a file has been corrupted or some failure has been generated.
- If we have activated the sleep mode, it increases the risk of the console to suffer a freeze. This is due to an internal failure of the console that tends to block the functions and cause the freeze.
How do I restart or force a PS5 to shut down if it becomes unresponsive?
While we have identified the reason why these problems occur, it is important to keep in mind how we should act in case it happens to us. The best option is to force shutdown the console, which we can do with these methods:
With the controller
If we want to turn off the console without going directly to this, we can do it with the help of the controller. For it we will press the PS button in the center of the controller, and we will select the option to restart.
If you do not have a controller
In the case that the screen does not even respond to the controller and we do not have any type of access to the menu, we will have to do it from the console. This can be done by going to the console and pressing the power button until you hear a beep.
How to rebuild the database of your console from ‘Safe Mode’ to prevent errors?
At this point we already know why the error occurs in our PS5 and what is the first action we have to perform. But here comes an important point and it is that we can lose all the saved data if we do not do a proper procedure to restore the menu of our PS5.
For a correct restoration of the data inside our console we will have to apply a process called database reconstruction. This process, we will have to apply it in the following way:
- We will start from our PS5 forced to turn off that we will turn on by holding down the power button until we hear a beep, then we will continue pressing until we hear a second beep that indicates the activation of the safe mode.
- Once started the menu in safe mode, we will connect our controller to the console using the USB cable.
- We will press the PS button on the controller, which will open the PS5 menu, where we will proceed to find the option rebuild Database and select it.
- We will press on accept and we will wait until the process is completed.
What to do if the PS5 freezes when you play a specific game?
As we mentioned before, there are cases in which the freeze problem only occurs in a specific game and it is usually caused by an incorrect installation. The only way to solve this problem is to remove the game from the PS5 menu and reinstall it again.
How to reset your console from ‘System’ for troubleshooting?
In case we have not been able to solve the Screen Freeze problem in any way, there is always the safe option for any electronic device and that is factory reset. To access this function and configure our PS5 we only have to follow this method:
- Turn off the console with the power button until you hear the beep.
- Proceed to turn it on, but keeping the power button pressed until we hear 2 beeps.
- Connect our PS5 controller using a USB cable.
- With the controller, we press the PS button.
- Go to the systems section in the menu and press the Reset PS5 option.
- Once this is done, we just have to wait for the process to complete. If any problem occurs, contact Playstation support.