When surfing the web or just looking at a flyer, we have come across a font of an image we want to use, so identifying the font type either from an image or printed flyer, and also downloading the font to use it is very easy to do.
Typography has a very important visual impact in the design area. That is why, if you are looking for a typeface and do not know the way you can get it or simply know that type of font, we will teach you how to identify any typeface from different devices.
How can you identify a typeface with your Windows or Mac computer?
Typography is a fundamental piece for any design to be successful, so it is important to know and know how to choose the right typeface, as it will determine your product.
It is impossible to know all the existing fonts, since there are too many, however, you can apply two ways to identify the typeface you want. In case the font you want to identify is not in image format, you will have to take a picture of it and capture the text on screen.
To identify a typeface from the Windows operating system, using the Google search engine, you should perform the following steps:
- Use the Google search engine to download the image you want to identify the font type, if it is on the web, otherwise you can capture the image using the Windows + Shift + S keys.
- Once the image is obtained you must cut out the text you are interested in to identify the font type which you must upload to the website, such as WhatFontIs or other, which provides us with the necessary help to detect the font.
- It is important that the image of the text appears as clear or clean as possible, so that it is easy to identify and have at hand the trimming tool provided by Windows.
To identify a font and then install a font on your Mac, you must open your browser and enter the hatTheFont website, a very useful tool that you can access from your desktop version or mobile device.
Another way in which you can identify a font is by using the Adobe Photoshop application, which is a tool that will allow you to detect the font type in an image, just follow the steps below:
- Download the image where the typeface you are interested in knowing is located.
- Open the Photoshop application from your computer, and being there open the image.
- Make use of the ‘Rectangular Frame’ tool, drawing a rectangle around the selected font to identify.
- From the toolbar you will have to locate ‘Type > Match Font’.
- Once this is done you will be able to choose the installed font or download the matching font from the website.
How can you get more downloadable fonts for your computer or mobile?
The Internet has numerous useful tools for downloading fonts from your computer or mobile device, with WhatFontls being the right site to do so. It also has a free WhatTheFont Mobile app, designed for iOs devices.
Simply launch the app and capture the photo of the text wherever it is located for the app to detect it. The app will prompt you to crop the photo where the text appears.
It is an online tool that allows you to identify any type of fonts, to enjoy the benefits it offers you must register on its website. It is easy to use, just upload the image containing the text or type of font to identify and click on the continue button.
In addition to identifying the font types, it provides you with a list of matches of possible fonts that coincide with the one identified.
On the other hand, WhatFontls has an extension in Google Chrome, which you can install on your computer’s browser, or iOS or Android mobile, so if you want to identify any type of font outside an image, it will be very helpful to add it as an extension.
This web application has more than ten thousand fonts, mostly free. The site will allow you to download the fonts that are trending by clicking on them, as well as uploading your own fonts.
You must take into account the format to download, this may vary depending on your operating system, as compatible fonts for Windows or Mac systems is the TrueType which are extension files.