Nowadays Amazon has launched several automated home devices, such as smart plugs and others. Among the most prominent and popular we have the Echo Dot, and if you have one of these, but you are experiencing problems when connecting it to a wifi network. Here we will tell you how you can solve it with a few simple methods and steps.
How to make sure that the Echo Dot configuration was done correctly?
If you have problems when connecting your Amazon Echo Dot, with a wifi network, you should not worry, as this is something that can happen even to a phone.
One of the most common causes of this problem is a bad installation, so before you start to solve the problem, you have to make sure that the Echo Dot configuration is done correctly. And here we will tell you the correct way to do it so that you do not have this problem.
On first and second generation devices
For those who have an Amazon Echo Dot, of the first and second generation, you will have to follow these steps that we will show you below.
- First of all, you have to download the Alexa app on your personal phone, if you don’t already have it.
- Place the Echo Dot device as close as possible to the wifi router to start connecting it, you will notice that the blue ring changes from blue to orange, and Alexa will say hello.
- Now you have to go to the app settings, and then select the wifi option.
- Tap on your wifi and then tap on connect.
- From the same app, choose Alexa device and then choose your echo point.
- Next, tap on add an Alexa device within the wifi network.
- You must keep pressing the action button, of the Echo Dot, do so until the ring changes to orange.
- In the app you will get a list you must select your wifi, and type the corresponding password.
- Save the password in the app and click on connect and the device will be paired with your wifi network.
For third generation Echo Dot
In case you have an Amazon Echo Dot of the third generation, to configure it correctly follow these steps:
- Same as above remember to download the Alexa app on your personal phone.
- Place the Echo Dot device, where it is close to your router, to connect it to the wifi network and take advantage of its operation.
- The ring that lights up, should change from blue to orange, and Alexa will say Hello.
- Now you must go to the Alexa app, and follow the on-screen instructions to finish adding the wifi information.
Done, this will complete the configuration of the Amazon Echo Dot with your wifi network. Then the device will automatically connect when you turn it off and turn it on again, or move it to another place in the house where the wifi signal reaches.
What do I do to fix the registration errors with the WiFi connection?
Now, if you already checked that the configuration of the Amazon Echo Dot device if done correctly, but you still present registration errors with the WiFi connection, then to fix it you should apply the following methods.
Restarting the Echo Dot or disabling WiFi networks.
The first thing you have to try with, is to reboot your Amazon Echo Dot device, and part also turn off your router for about 10 seconds and then turn it back on. In the case of the Echo Dot, to reboot it you just have to unplug it for about 15 seconds and then plug it back in.
You should also make sure that your other devices such as phone or tablet can connect to the wifi, if so then we know that the problem is in the Echo Dot.
Deregistering as a user
When you order a new Echo Dot device on Amazon, before it is shipped to you it is registered in your account; although if you bought your Echo Dot second hand, you will have to deregister it from the account that its previous owner had, before you start using it.
The best thing to do is for the previous owner to deregister it before they sell it to you, but this often doesn’t happen, either because people forget or simply think it’s not a problem. However, this may be the reason why it doesn’t connect to your wifi network.
That’s why if you are the original owner and you are going to deregister your device, here are the detailed steps to do it.
- In the browser of your choice, go to Amazon’s official website.
- Then log in to your personal account.
- Once inside your account select the option that says content and devices.
- Then click on the menu on the top left and select settings.
- Then click on the Echo dot that you are going to unregister.
- Click on the button that says unsubscribe, and then click on capture to finish confirming the action.
- With this the Echo Dot device is released for other people to register it on their account. In case you bought a second-hand one and the former owner did not deregister it, you can contact Amazon’s customer service and tell them about your problem and they will take care of it.
Through the same Alexa app you can also unsubscribe, to do this go to settings of the device, then click on the name of the Echo Dot, and at the bottom click on unsubscribe. When the registration is completely cancelled, you will have to set it up again manually. With the steps explained at the beginning of the article.