Find out how to create my own crossword puzzles using Word. Word is a software that allows us to work freely when using its tools. This program will show you through its functions how to create a crossword puzzle, how to divide a sheet of paper correctly, how to make trifolds among other options.
In this guide we are going to show you with a series of steps how to make a crossword puzzle so you can enjoy this pastime that is one of the most used by all users around the world.
How to create your crossword puzzle grid in Word?
Before you start working on your crossword puzzle, you have to take into account that the Word page should be formatted horizontally to make it easier for you to do it. You should also adjust the margins of the page and place it in a narrow way and finally you should apply two columns on the page.
With the cursor we will move the grid to the upper corner and modify its size, we will show you how to do it:
- You have to find the words you are going to place and have the definition of each one of them.
- Locate the Insert tab on the top bar, then select the Tables option and click Insert.
- A window will open where you have to place the number of columns and rows according to the words you are going to enter, on the left side you are going to place the concepts and on the right side the crossword puzzle.
- Finally, click on OK and the following box will appear on the worksheet
- Insert tables
- First locate the Insert option on the toolbar.
- Move the cursor over the grid until you have selected the desired number of cells.
- If you want to create a larger table in the same option you have to click on Insert Table and then click on convert table to text.
- You can also draw the table in the following way, in the Insert tab select Table and then Draw Table.
How to enter the words of your crossword horizontally or vertically?
To be able to perform this function, first you have to know how you are going to place the words, just place the main letter in the cell either vertically or horizontally. You can also move around the grid by clicking the mouse or using the arrow keys.
If you want to see the words in a correct way you have to make a selection to the whole table and click on the top corner, also note that you have to put the letters in the right size and then you will center the letters in the Presentation window and then you will select the Align option and you can do it vertically or horizontally.
Once you have placed all the words in the table, you have to select the entire crossword and once you have done this action you will go to the toolbar and in the paragraph tab you will select the option No Borders, in this way you will only see the words.
The borders will only be placed in the cells that contain the words, you can do it in the following way, go to start-paragraph and choose the borders, you can also select several words using the Ctrl command on your keyboard and all the words in the crossword puzzle will appear only selected, as an interesting fact you can put accents to the words in Word.
How to place reference numbers in the crossword puzzle made in Word?
According to the order in which you have placed the words in the crossword puzzle, if from top to bottom you placed the vertical words and from left to right the horizontal ones, what you have to do is to select the first box and you will place the number, it is worth mentioning that you have to modify it for that follow these steps:
- First the size of the letter of the number has to be small, it is recommended that you put it in seven.
- In the toolbar we locate the presentation option and select Alignment, then press Align at the top left.
- Finally you will check the margins and the left margin option must be set to 0.02 cm, so the number of references will appear closer to the line.
- How to customize the colors of your crossword puzzle?
- To give a unique touch to your crossword puzzle you have to select each of the cells either vertically or horizontally, in the toolbar in the Paragraphs tab you will find the icon that has the shape of a paint can in that option you can choose the color of your preference, and in that way you can customize it to your liking.
It is worth mentioning that with the different functions that Word has you can eliminate a dotted line so it will not interrupt the work you are doing.