Find out how to open a video in VLC using the browser. In situations where the player that we have installed on the computer does not work, we can opt for any of the browsers that we have available at that time.
To tell the truth, being able to play a video with browsers is something that few users know about. That is why in this opportunity we will help you open your videos with the player of your preference.
What video formats can be played in VLC from a browser?
The question is probably a bit confusing, but the procedure is quite the opposite. Note that it doesn’t matter if you are using a specific browser or any other. The steps we will mention below will work for most cases. However, you may have a hard time when you try to rotate or save the changes of a video.
As VLC is the media player par excellence, you have the enormous advantage that you can play a great variety of videos or online files or videos that you have downloaded. In case this program does not work for you, you can choose to use Media Player – Video and Audio Player. It is a very good plugin for Chrome with excellent features for users like you.
How can you play a VLC video from your web browser?
The reality is that there are many ways to play a video from the web browser you are in. The most common is to find the page where it is published and from there, play it thanks to the same functions of the page or platform. But apart from this method, there are others that we will detail below.
Using an extension
Fortunately, in the Chrome Web store there are plenty of plugins or applications that you can use for this particular case. The most recommended is the one we mentioned above. But this does not mean that you should not use any other plugin. The steps you must follow are as follows
- Go to the page where the application is and locate the install extension button.
- When you select it, it will show you a message asking if you want to add the extension. You are going to say yes and wait for the download process to finish.
- Then you will drag the video or link to the extension and drop it in the corresponding place.
- From there, you can use the keyboard commands to improve navigation and user experience.
- Keep in mind that if you will use this plugin or extension, certain keys allow you to perform certain actions. For example: the F key allows you to enter and exit full screen mode. In the case of the space bar, it allows you to pause or start the video. To increase and decrease the volume you can use the corresponding arrows.
Now, among the plugin options you have to check if you can add subtitles and synchronize the subtitles with the video as such, since this is a problem that some video formats usually present.
From an Android cell phone
From an Android device is a little more complex because the settings of the program itself are limited. This is in order to offer a quality user experience that is comfortable and easy to use. Therefore, the best for these cases to have the player installed on the system and use this app as the main application or by default once you are going to play any video.
Using the URL
- Locate the video of your interest. It doesn’t matter if it is a YouTube video or any other platform.
- With the keyboard copy the link. You can also do it with the mouse options
- Now you are going to run VLC.
- Once you do it, you are going to press the key combination CTRL + N
- This will open a new window in the program. In it you are going to paste the link that you copied previously.
- Once you have done this, proceed to click on play. This should be enough
What to do when VLC does not play the video because it does not locate the file?
The main thing to do is to verify that the file actually exists on your device. In the case of cell phones, the thumbnail of the video may appear but as a file, it no longer exists. It may be that the application itself has registered the location of the file or video and when you move it to another folder, it throws an error when trying to play it.
On the other hand, a more drastic solution is to use any of the best MKV video players, both for Windows computers and Mac and other devices.