The link between Instagram and Facebook accounts is beneficial for the user, and in particular, it helps you to post to each other from one platform without needing to enter the second platform, and you can also reach your friends on Facebook through your Instagram account and communicate with them easily. However, we find that the user wants to disassociate the Instagram account from the Facebook account for privacy reasons or to use only one platform and stay away from the other.
Table of Contents
How to unlink an Instagram account with Facebook
We also know that Instagram is a platform owned by Facebook, so it has merged with them. You can disassociate your Instagram account with Facebook in a few simple steps. Keep in mind that disassociation keeps the two accounts separate, and you won’t see any suggestions for your friends’ Instagram accounts on Facebook, nor will you be able to make it Post to Facebook via Instagram or communicate as well. Here are the risks of disassociating the two accounts.
Note: Unlinking the two accounts can only be done via the Instagram app on Android or iPhone, you cannot do it via the Facebook app or website, whether it is Instagram or Facebook.
- Open the Instagram app on your Android or iPhone device, then sign in to your Instagram account if you haven’t already. Once logged into your account, go to your Profile section. (Whether you use Android or iOS, the steps are the same between the two devices.)
- Click on a Three Dots option Located on the top side to reveal the side menu. (On the iPhone, you’ll find the three lines instead of the dots).
- In the side menu that appeared, select the Settings option.
- Scroll down and press Option “Accounts”.
- Select “Sharing to other apps” and you will find all the social media platforms that you have linked
- The name of the two accounts that are merging will appear as an option at the top, click on it. After that, you will see your Instagram account and your Facebook account. Click on the latter.
- On the next page, click on the Remove From Accounts Center button.
- A page will appear where you can confirm your desire to cancel the link and view the resulting issues, such as not being able to cross-post and access Facebook friends via Instagram. If you are sure you want to cancel the link, click the Continue button.
- Finally, press Option Delete [your account name].
Directly, the two accounts will be separated from each other. However, you may want to link your Instagram account back to Facebook at any time.
Turn off the automatic posting of Instagram posts and stories to Facebook
If the reason you want to cancel the link between the two accounts is to automatically publish Instagram posts and stories directly to Facebook, there is no need to cancel the link, as you can customize it. You can automatically stop publishing Instagram posts on Facebook, in particular, while Instagram account suggestions to Facebook friends will remain possible.
- Go to your profile and click on the Three Dots option Located in the top corner to display the following menu (on iPhone, press The Three Bars). From the side menu, select the Settings option.
- Head directly to an Accounts Center option and click on it. After that, click on the “Story & Post Sharing” option.
- Click on your Instagram account and you will see two buttons to enable or disable automatic posting to Facebook. The first is for auto-publishing Instagram stories, and the second is for auto-publishing posts.
- Turn off the button next to the Your Instagram Story option.
- Also, disable the button next to the “Your Instagram Posts” option.
The next time you publish a story or posts on your Instagram account, they will not automatically be published on your Facebook account. Regardless of this, if you suspect that someone is opening your Instagram account and you end up unlinking the two accounts,