Want to send the same message to many people simultaneously? Forget about email or SMS. WhatsApp, Meta’s instant messenger, offers a very convenient solution with the mailing list.
WhatsApp allows you to send a message to a specific person or to several people at the same time thanks to the discussion groups that can host more than 250 participants. A practical function when it comes to organizing an event to celebrate a birthday, prepare an outing or discuss with family members or several school parents for example. Creating a group therefore implies bringing together in the same space all the people concerned, even if they don’t necessarily know each other. Each person then receives everyone’s answers at the same time as the others. As practical as it is, this function is not adapted to all situations. So, to send the same message to several people in your address book without creating yet another discussion group and turning it into a cacophony, WhatsApp has another feature: mailing lists. This option, which can also be found in some email programs, is much more suitable for sending messages where each recipient can imagine that they are the only one concerned by the message. This is very practical at the beginning of the year, for example, when you want to send your greetings – not personalized – to many contacts. Everyone will be able to reply to you individually without the other recipients of the mailing list being informed.
Creating a mailing list in WhatsApp is easy on both Android and iOS. Unfortunately, it is not possible to use it with the Windows or macOS applications or with the WhatsApp Web service on a computer.
How to create a WhatsApp mailing list on Android?
With the Android version of WhatsApp, the mailing lists are hidden in the settings.
- Launch WhatsApp and then, from the chat pane, press the three vertical dots, placed at the top right of the interface. In the menu that unfolds, choose New Broadcast.
- Your list of contacts registered in WhatsApp will appear. Select the ones you want to send the same message to by tapping on their names. Once you’ve made your selection, tap on the green check mark at the bottom left of the screen.
- Now write your message as you usually do. You can of course add an image, an animated gif, a video, etc… When you are ready press the send button. Each of your correspondents will receive your missive without the others knowing it.
How to create a WhatsApp mailing list on iPhone or iPad?
With the iOS version of WhatsApp, mailing lists are better highlighted and immediately accessible from the chat pane.
- Open WhatsApp on your iOS device and go to the chat list. Then tap the Mailing Lists link, placed at the top of the list, below the search field.
- On the page that appears, press the New list link at the bottom of the screen.
- Your list of contacts saved in WhatsApp will appear. Select the ones you want to send the same message to by pressing the radio button to the right of their names. Once you have made your selection, press the Create link at the top right of the screen.
- Now write your message as you normally would. You can of course add an image, an animated Gif, a video, etc… When you are ready press the send button. Each of your correspondents will receive your missive without the others knowing it.