When we talk about Echo Dot we refer to the smart speaker that is controlled by voice and uses the Alexa Voice Service. With this tool you can do infinite things; however, today we will show you how to play music from it. Surely after learning, you will never look for a song from your phone again.
What are the requirements to listen to Apple Music on an Echo Dot?
Although it may seem contradictory, you can use the Echo Dot with an Apple application. You just have to meet a series of requirements, among which is having a subscription to Apple Music and having the most updated version of Alexa; with this you can ask Alexa to play any song, artist or playlist from Apple Music quietly.
Having a subscription on Apple Music
Apple Music for Alexa is only available in a few countries around the world, including Brazil, Canada, France, Germany, India, Italy, Japan, Mexico, New Zealand, Spain, United Kingdom, United States and United States.
The appropriate thing to do would be to first look to see if the country you are in has this option. After verifying that you are in a country where Apple Music works then comes the most important part which is to subscribe to the application.
If you do not have a subscription to Apple Music you can do it on your iPhone, iPad or iPad Touch, you can also do it from an Android device and you will have to download both the Apple Music app and the Amazon Alexa app.
Having the latest version of Amazon Alexa
Alexa is a device that was created by Amazon, so when using it you have to download the App and have its most updated version, even more if you want to use it in conjunction with Apple Music. Based on this it would be best if you also have your own Amazon account. The most recent version of Amazon Alexa has the necessary settings to pair with Apple devices.
How to link the Apple Music app with your Echo Dot?
- The first thing you need to do is open the Amazon Alexa app.
- Go to the bottom right corner of the screen and click on the icon that says ‘More’.
- Then you have to click on the ‘Skills and games’ option.
- In the search field that opens in the upper right corner you will search for Apple Music.
- You will be prompted whether or not you want to allow the use of the application and you will press yes.
- Locate and select the configuration option, click on ‘Link account’ and follow the instructions to sign in with your Apple ID.
- This will link the application with the device. To do it with Android, the steps are the same and you will only have to wait for the device to recognize the application. Once you have listened to all the music you want and decide to cancel the subscription with Apple Music, you can do it without problems.
What to do to make the Alexa device play your favorite music?
You can freely ask Alexa to play some favorite song, artist, album or library using simple voice commands. Some of the things you can tell it are ‘Alexa plays Adele on Apple Music’ or Alexa Plays This is what life is like on Apple Music’. You can also ask her to play your iCloud music library.
How to set Apple Music as your default music service?
Setting Apple Music as your default music service will prevent you from having to always ask Alexa that the music you want to listen to is from Apple Music. This means that when you ask Alexa for a song, it will immediately search for it through Apple Music. Follow the steps below to set it up.
- Open the Amazon Alexa application and press the ‘More’ symbol located in the lower right corner.
- Then press the Settings option.
- Scroll through the options until you get the ‘Music and Podcasts’ option.
- Now press where it says ‘Default Services’ and in the ‘Music’ option press ‘Apple Music’.
- With this option you will no longer have to name the phrase ‘In Apple Music’ but the command would be more simplified, for example you just have to say ‘Adele plays Ricardo Arjona’ and immediately Alexa plays it knowing that it is from App Music without the need for you to name it.
What are the steps to follow to unlink your Echo Dot from Apple Music?
- The first thing you need to do is open the Amazon Alexa app and select the ‘More’ option.
- Then press the ‘Settings’ option and you need to scroll through the options until you get the ‘Music and Podcasts’ option.
- A tab with the name ‘Services’ will open up.
- You are going to press Apple Music and then ‘Disable skill’.